Upcoming events at The Exchange, Twickenham.
Adult Art Workshop – Short Course£285
This eight-week course is designed for beginners and those who wish to extend their knowledge, skills, and understanding further.
This course will be delivered to you by Sandra Beccarelli, a London-based artist with a wealth of experience as a tutor and contemporary artist.
The course will reference the exhibition “Hilma Af Klint & Piet Mondrian- Forms of Life” which was shown at Tate Modern recently.
Af Klint and Mondrian both invented their own languages of abstract art rooted in nature. At the heart of both of their artistic journeys was a shared desire to understand the forces behind life on earth. Both artists began their careers as landscape painters but as new ideas of scientific discovery, spirituality and philosophy emerged so did their desire to delve deeper and become pathways to abstraction.
This course is aimed for those who would like to combine observational drawing alongside a personal approach to creating abstract or semi abstract works.
Dates and times:
This eight week course will run on Wednesdays between 10am-1pm on:
- 10th January 2024
- 17th January 2024
- 24th January 2024
- 31st January 2024
- 7th February 2024
- 14th February 2024
- 21st February 2024
- 28th February 2024
The full cost is £285
Students will need to supply their own art materials (including eraser, sketch pad, pencils, brushes and paint).
Please note – when booking online there is a booking fee to avoid this please phone our box office or come in person during opening hours Monday – Thursday 10am – 5pm so we can book you in.
- Pencil drawings on paper of flowers such as chrysanthemums and sunflowers.
- Pencil and ink drawings of shells and natural objects investigating growth patterns, geometry, and rhythm. We will also discuss others who have looked at art forms in nature such as Renaissance artist Leonardo Da Vinci and German zoologist/marine biologist/artist, Ernst Haeckel.
- We will be looking deeper into the interior shapes of shells and surfaces of other natural objects to investigate form, pattern, and colour. With the aid of magnifying glasses we will be able to analyse marks and colours in more depth to create detailed pencil and watercolour studies.
- Colourful drawings and paintings on paper using soft pastels and watercolour with reference to af Klint’s abstracted designs.
- “Structure of trees”. Taking inspiration from Mondrian’s tree drawings we will be drawing trees on location using pencil and charcoal with a focus on the trees structure.
- Using photographs taken whilst out drawing, we will interpret the autumnal scene firstly as a monochrome drawing with emphasis on line, tone, and form. The next study will be interpreting the scene as blocks of colour.
- The evolution from a tree through to semi-abstract and pure abstract drawings based on drawings made and photos taken.
- A semi-abstract or pure abstract painting in either watercolour or acrylic paint based on studies made from either session six or seven.
To enrol on this course you must be 18 years old or over.
Upon successful completion of this course you will be awarded a certificate of attendance.