Courses and Workshops
“Language is social art” – Willard Van Orman Quine
How can you weave art and photography into your writing? How can you use them to create and develop new material? This course will explore the art of Ekphrastic Writing. Ekphrasis means, ‘description’ in Greek. Ekphrastic Writing focuses on works of art and interprets them so that they help you, the writer, in creating new narratives.
On this course we will be discovering the power of ekphrastic writing to develop our imaginations and writing. Every week, you will respond to different visual material, in order to create new narratives. In short, we will use art to inspire the writing of prose or poetry, and welcome the unexpected, the hidden, and the surreal.
This course will be held at The Exchange in Twickenham and delivered to you by poet and creative writer Agnieszka Studzinska who has an MA in creative writing.
The course runs from 26th March 2020 – 4th June 2020. The full cost of this 8 week course is £160. For more info on this course please click here
Prose or Poetry
What’s the difference between a prose poem and a poem? Or a prose poem and a shorter narrative? How much of a poem is prose driven? How do we find the balance between prose and the poem?
Over this 8 week course we will explore these ideas and discuss them in a friendly and welcoming environment, along with reading different types of prose poems to inspire our own writing. Feedback on writing will also be given.
This course will be held at The Exchange in Twickenham and delivered to you by poet and creative writer Agnieszka Studzinska who has an MA in creative writing
The course runs from 9th January 2020 – 5th March 2020. The full cost of this 8 week course is £160. For more info on this course please click here
The Beatles: A Magical History Tour
Following the success of The Beatles in Twickenham exhibition held at The Exchange in 2019, join us for a deeper dive into the history of the Fab Four.
Led by 1960s cultural expert Dr Richard Mills, this six-week course will explore The Beatles’ rise to stardom and their legacy in the context of broader themes, like gender and fandom, 60s counterculture, and modern retromania.
Whether you’re an Apple Scruff looking to relive the good old days, a third-generation millennial fan, or just want to learn a bit more about the swinging sixties, all are welcome on our magical history tour.
This course will run every Wednesday at The Exchange, Twickenham between 15th January – 19th February 2020, 7-8.30pm. The full cost of this course is £110. For more info on this course please click here
Unarmed Combat for Stage & Screen
This eight week course aims to enable and empower the participant to reach a proficient level of competence in Unarmed Combat for Stage & Screen, set alongside the following learning outcomes:
- To learn the fundamental techniques and safe applications of Unarmed Stage Combat
- To further develop physical awareness, both of oneself and others, in the space you occupy and perform in
- To explore the different use of violence in theatrical and filmic context and understand the importance of safety in 21st Century performance
- To advance partnering skills
- To retain choreography, take direction and tell a story with theatrical violence
Dates and Times:
6.30-9.30pm Tuesday evenings, 21st January 2020 to 10th March 2020 at The Exchange, Twickenham
For further information on this course or to book please click HERE
Young People’s Introduction to Unarmed Stage Combat
This one-day course welcomes young creatives and performers to the world of Stage Combat and the safe practice that surrounds it. The workshop aims to enable and empower the participant as they begin to learn the basic techniques and applications of the magic that is ‘Stage Combat’ – whilst also learning what it is to be a good working partner.
A great half-term activity, suitable for ages 8-15. Please bring your own lunch and snacks!
Dates and Time:
9am-3pm on Wednesday 19th February 2020 at The Exchange, Twickenham
For further information on this course or to book please click HERE
Adult Art Workshops
This ten-week introductory course is suitable for complete beginners or those who would like to develop their artistic skills in a fun, creative, supportive environment. During the course learners will explore drawing and painting using pencil, watercolours and acrylic paint. Classes will include a range of materials, tools and methods and will focus on observation and still life.
This course will be held at The Exchange in Twickenham and delivered to you by Sandra Beccarelli, a London based artist with a wealth of experience as a tutor and contemporary artist.
This eight week course will run on Wednesdays between 10am-1pm.
- Course one: 22nd January – 11th March
- Course two: 6th May – 24th June
- Course three: 30th September – 18th November
The full cost is £265, with a £50 deposit. Students will need to supply their own art materials (including eraser, sketch pad, pencils, brushes and paint), please see the welcome pack for full details.
For more information on this course please click here
- Hummingbird School of Dance: Monday at 9:30am and 10:20am in Studio 1 (4th Floor). For more details and booking please contact email@example.com
- Step on Stage Academy: Monday – Wednesday & Friday, various times and Studios. For more details and booking please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- White Rabbit Drama Club: Wednesday from 3:45pm in Studio 2& 4. For more details and booking please contact email@example.com
- Dramatize: Dramatize is a theatre company for individuals with learning disabilities. Thursday 5pm-6pm in Studio 1. For more details and booking please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Asha Yoga – hatha yoga for all with Rachel – Friday at 8:10am – 9.10am in Studio 1 (4th Floor). For more details and booking please contact email@example.com
- Grounded Yoga – Hatha Yoga with Amy: Monday at 7:30pm – 8:45pm in Studio 1 (4th Floor). For more details and booking please contact Amy@groundedyoga.uk
- Himalayan Hatha Yoga with Dillaro Wednesday 7:30pm – 8:30pm in Studio 4 (3rd Floor). For more details and booking please contact Dillaro21@hotmail.com
- Busylizzy Fitness: Mums-to-bee Pilates Thursday 7:30pm – 8:30pm in Studio 3 (3rd Floor). For more details and booking please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Love Yoga London Pregnancy Yoga Delivered by a specialist pregnancy yoga teacher, Love Yoga Pregnancy classes aim to empower pregnant women during their journey into motherhood. Pregnancy Yoga is suitable for anyone from 14 weeks onward. No previous experience of yoga is necessary. Thursday evenings, 7.30pm-8.45pm, Studio 1, 4th FloorContact: Sammie at email@example.comFor more info please visit: www.loveyogalondon.co.uk
- DanceWest Bolder not Older Company classes for adults 55+, Wednesdays 10-11am from 25 September. Fun, physical and uplifting dance classes, taught by professional choreographers. No previous dance experience required. Participants are offered opportunities to perform and take part in DanceWest workshops and events.For more information email mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.dancewest.co.uk/boldernotoldercompany
- Headway Tutor 11 Plus Group Tuition Session Wednesday 4:30pm for Maths and 5:30pm for English. For more details and booking please contact email@example.com
- Collective Arts Workshop starting January 7th 2020. Please contact Julia Ruppert, MA, MSc (MAPP) HCPC Registered Art Therapist for more details and to book firstname.lastname@example.org
- This 6 week course is designed to give you the tools you need to bring mindful awareness to your life, de-stress and find some inner peace. Suitable for complete beginners and great for those wanting to refresh their mindfulness practice. This course is run by world renowned teacher and author Frances Trussell.
Book here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/mindfulness-course-tickets-65513505659